Sunday, June 08, 2014

Alumni Weekend 40th reunion 2014, Class of 74.

Dear Class,

There is so much I could say and so many people to thank for the wonderful job done towards the success of this reunion weekend. All the meetings, all the fund raising, all the phone calls, all the paperwork, all the letters sent and received, all the deadlines, all the sleepless nights, all the people who opened up their homes as generous hosts, all the equipment hauled around, all the miscellaneous expenses paid without a word, all the personal time putting together the keys pieces of the float, all the decisions, and yes, even all the disagreements, all that culminated with the following results Saturday.

The Disnard Trophy awarded to class of 74 for our float, (Interestingly, the 14K gold trophy, was snatched from our hands after the parade, but replaced with a smaller version for display at the party) a $200 cash award as a float winner, the first scholarship donation presentation (to my knowledge) from this class ever at the alumni dinner giving back to the alumni association of 3 checks of $250 each to the following scholarships. Samuel Heller, McGoon-Paquette and Fredrick Carr. the best attended class party in decades. Lastly, I also heard from a VERY reliable source today, the judging float committee would have given us all 3 trophies if it were allowed! They loved our concept!

The list of people to thank is huge, but I will at least give it my best try! I know I will miss some, please forgive me and let me know so I can give the proper kudos to all.

Melissa Dube, - For taking the lead on the reunion planning, arranging the class meetings and arranging the place of our party, and keeping us from straying too far off the reservation! Also for working extensively at both yard sale fundraisers
Debbie Flaherty - For taking the lead with the meetings, interacting with the alumni association and introducing us to your son Sean the musician, and also for graciously donating the use of your property for the 2nd fundraising yard sale. I also know you did many other things behind the scenes. 
Charlene Hayes - For processing, and designing the class mailings, the photobooth at the party which turned out to be quite popular, and the many other little jobs you do that don't get noticed. We know a lot of time went into your personal messages to people out there. We know the class records are in good and capable hands. 
Sandy Lefebvre- For the class fundraising through 2 yard sales, I know this was a tremendous undertaking for you getting all the stuff sorted where it should be. Never mind cooking those delicious breakfasts and being anywhere we needed you. And also for coming up with that cool Jeopardy game at the party! And last but not least, for being daring enough to walk that whole parade in the Cardinal suit! I know you had to feel that heat!
Gary Dube, For the use of his property, tools and materials to build the float. And the tent to gather for our BBQ and socialize under!
Jim and Lori Roy, For the gracious use of your property for the first fundraising yard sale. Thank goodness for that garage!
Sue Mclauglin - For paying at her own expense, the rental for the Cardinal costume for the parade. And the many calls and writing she did to encourage people to come.
Karen Chabot- For the use of her Brothers VW Beetle for our 70s car at the drive in, perfect choice.
Ed Leskiewicz- For the use of his vintage truck for the parade, love that awesome orange! 
Wes Boardman- The man with the connections, For the use of his Nova for the parade, arranging the trailer and driver and equipment to move the bug on and off the trailer. Also arranging for and getting our beautiful signs made. And for the use of all the authentic things from the drive in which made our float complete. There are many other things you did behind the scenes, but that would be another list!
Richard Bean - For building and donating the drive in sign and donating it free of charge to the class. Just beautiful workmanship.
John Irish- For his fine work as MC at the party. He kept things moving. And for donating his audio equipment for music at the float build and enabled our classmate musicians to perform. In spite of his many health challenges over this past winter, he gave us his all.
Karen Heller- For the use of the 2nd floor space of the Odd Fellow Block for our meetings. This was perfect and a much got done as a result.
Rachel Fluette and Jill Curtis - For taking the lead on decorating the party room, wonderful job organizing all the pieces to complete the transformation of the room. The room looked just simply amazing!
Sue Michaud - For hosting us for lunch at your beautiful home with the million dollar view! Yes, I like your idea, when we all get old, convert your house to a retirement home for us! Also for assisting with many things you did behind the scene.
Kim McClelland - For the stellar job on that mural used for the screen, I still don't see how you got it to fit on the top of your vehicle!
Ann Muriel, For keeping our memorial sign updated and well cared for.
Cindy Thompson, For the professional and FAST presentation of the class donations to the alumni scholarships. Loved your family stories at the table....;-)
The float builders, For everyone who got their hands dirty and muscles sore, amazing teamwork and handymanship on display.It was worth it, yes!
Mr. Jim Hanson! For building that beautiful ticket shack. I know that had to take up many hours of your time. But look at the result, even better than the original! And you looked like you had a grand time towing it with your ATV on the streets of Claremont!


This list by no means complete, gives you a good idea of how many hands on deck it took to get this reunion done. I know I have missed people who did things behind the scenes, but let it be known they have our appreciation too.

You know what, I thought I would be glad this is over, but instead like many people, although tired, its a good feeling tired and I am inspired. No, there is nothing I can write that can possibly show my personal appreciation to all the great classmates and non-classmates alike, who I have come to know, who gave their time to create what happened here this past weekend

I am going leave you all with a entry posted on the Facebook page of Linda Janelle Simmons that is so uplifting and inspiring. She expresses her thoughts of someone attending and participating in the reunion for the first time, and her experience from this weekend. Simple and eloquent. These thoughts say it better than I ever could, what this class, the class of 1974 is all about.

With Linda's permission, I quote directly, enjoy.

Well -- in case you have not heard or did not go to the Alumni parade (or just don't live around these parts... lol) the Stevens High School Class of 1974 - 40th YEAR CLASS ..btw,,,WON THEIR FIRST PARADE FLOAT AWARD YESTERDAY!!!!! WHOOO HOOO!!! WHOOT! WHOOT! ...and I am proud to say... I played a part in helping paint and decorate ..etc...our awesome-est!!! float... EVER... DO YOU HEAR... E-V-E-R!!!... met some great classmates from yester -years..(did you notice I did not say old?) from near and far.... everyone who had a part in food prep for our get together, venue to build it on their property, supported, planned, met, complained, organized, micro managed... lol... etc.. just to get it done... a SUPER PAT ON THE BACK TO ALL.. I am not going to be so foolish to mention names.. cuz I surely would miss someone.. so I won't.. ya'll know who ya R!! Congrats!... (note: worth my achy bones, sleepless nights),.... AND WHAT A BEEEE AAUTIFULL DAY WE HAD TO SHOW OFF OUR STUFF!! CLASS OF "74" ROCKS ON!!

Pictures are online at this link below

40th Reunion Pictures

2 comments:

Laurie Bonneau said...

I'd like to add the name of the individual who really belongs most on this list, and it's Phil Winans. Phil, you've been more than the class scribe and general do-gooder; you're the heart of the class. I don't remember you in HS, but you're among the first I had to seek out Friday at the float build, when I returned to my first class reunion since graduation. You've been a historian for the class in many ways, as evidenced by your blog here, your emails, reports and updates and photos. Your obvious inclusive and friendly personality, and good nature, humor, and spirit gave me, a classmate living far away, a strong tie to the class. I appreciate the welcoming, and all the hard work you and other local classmates have done in the past year so we could have a great time at our 40th reunion. Thank you, you can bet that I'll be back.

Now I'm off to other class digital venues where I can copy and paste these words of words of thanks and praise! best, Laurie

atina ttimhcs said...

Agreed! Thanks to all for making it possible for us out of towners to come in and enjoy all the fruits of your labors! I love alumni time. Anita