Sunday, June 12, 2011

Loon Lake BBQ and Alumni Day 2011 thoughts

Good morning dear classmates,

Jim Roy is requesting a headcount so he and Laurie can plan on what to get for meats and condiments for next Saturday. Please give me a shout by Thursday June 16th and let me know if you plan to come and if you plan to bring a guest (you know they are always welcome!) I will let Jim know of the results. If you are not sure still but hope to come, please let us know anyways. The BBQ starts from noon on to whenever. If you have commitments that will delay you, that's fine, show up when you can, we'll all be there for awhile as you know we are flexible. Please also remember to bring your own choice of drinks and bring a side dish you like to make, or you could even buy it. I think Amorn may be making spring rolls.


A couple Alumni Day side notes:

Had a good time at the parade yesterday, even though it rained again!! But Claremont turned out in force to watch. I apologize if I missed anyone as it was really hard to find anyone in the sea of umbrellas! I did stumble across Wayne Boardman and found Melissa and Debbie. Melissa has taken photos and hopefully will post some of them on her FB.

"Accidentally" ended up attending the business meeting for the alumni as I took my Mom to the luncheon at the high school cafe. Did not realize they did that as part of the lunch. Pretty sure I was the youngest one there and the meeting was thankfully short! The theme for next year is going to be Wild West which was voted largely in by a couple tables full of alumni members who will be celebrating their 55th in 2012. Have to say, what a enthusiastic bunch, reminded me so much of us but "much" older!!! Kind of see how the themes can be voted in! The food was very good, and all you could eat, a pretty good deal for $4 bucks! I confess I gorged myself on the brownies which were delicious. Looking around, never realized how small the cafe was!!

Lastly a small adventure, wandered around the school a little past the gym area and some of the first floor. Tried to find the old weight room where I tried to grow muscles, and could not believe the hallway where we used to run sprints after lifting was so short! It seemed like a mile back then! Did finally find out the weight room is now on the other side of the gym. Also found the stairs leading up the 2nd floor balcony where our coaches used to make us run up and down endlessly to make us "burn" after a bad game! We sure were in great shape then. Am sure all the ex-hoop players in the class remember those stairs unkindly well!

Upstairs at the front of the school, took some photos which I will post. To tell you truthfully, things either have really changed up there or I have forgotten more than I thought. Of course, haven't been inside the front of the school since the day we graduated. You tell me when you see the pics. Noticed things that probably were there when we were walking those halls, but never bothered to look at. A lot of Stevens history on those walls. Sadly, while walking around, the school is still in rough shape. Its a wonder how we survived 4 years in there. Was surprised I was able to access as far as I did, but thankful for the opportunity.

Hope to see everyone next Saturday and PRAY for sun!!

Phil

No comments: